• 2 strips bacon, diced
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 tablespoons ketchup
• 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
• Vegetable oil, for the grill
• 4 foot-long hot dogs
• 4 soft hoagie rolls, split open
• 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
• Sliced scallions and/or sour cream for topping (optional)
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and cook until it is slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, hot sauce and 1 cup water, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill to medium and brush with vegetable oil. Grill the hot dogs until marked, turning, about 10 minutes. Toast the rolls on the grill, if desired.
Sprinkle the inside of each roll with cheese, then add a hot dog, some of the bean mixture and more cheese. Top with scallions, sour cream and/or hot sauce, if desired.